Major Financial Services organisation with a key Data Centre in Croydon is looking for a Data Centre Engineer with solid cabling and Data Centre operational experience for a long term assignment.
With the Data Centre Team they will be responsible for the day to day running of the infrastructure requirements within the Data Centre
Day to day duties include:
- Patching (copper and fibre) install and break/ fix
- Racking and/or decommissioning of hardware.
- On-site support for incident and recovery
- Escort third party engineers and ensure their compliance with the site standards.
- Undertaking scheduled tasks to SLA
- CommScope pre-term copper & fibre infrastructure installation and test.
- Rack installation and commission
- Updating/ Editing of records in various systems, Aperture/imVision/Remedy (training given)
- Documentation upkeep (required as part of BAU process)
- Tracking of daily activities, task completion and updates
- Understanding of risk levels involved working within financial institute.
- Good operational knowledge of data centre environments.
- Understanding of cabling, patching, hardware.
- Good knowledge of structured cabling standards and cable types (FTP, UTP & Optical Fibre)
- Good MS Office Suite experience (Outlook, Excel, Word etc.) and good general IT skills.
- Racking and/or decommissioning of hardware within data halls.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a small team
- Ability to follow process without deviation.
- Understanding risk and ways to mitigate.
Relevant Experience and abilities
- Ideally experienced with working in a Data Centre environment with a good knowledge of data centre best practices and industry standards, ie; hot and cold aisles, cooling, power, patching methods, security, health and safety, etc.
- Experience in structured cabling installations, fault-finding and testing with Fluke test equipment, both copper and fibre.
- Some knowledge of asset management and ticketing systems (Remedy/Aperture/ImVision) would be beneficial but not essential.